By: Katie Francis, Follow South Jersey Public Health Intern
TRENTON, N.J. — On Monday, New Jersey reached a new COVID-19 vaccination milestone: Five million residents have now received their first dose of the vaccine.
According to the state’s COVID-19 dashboard, 5,025,269 people in the state have now received at least one dose of the vaccine, and 4,395,109 people are fully inoculated against the COVID-19 pandemic. The state is also nearing nine million total doses of the vaccine administered, as 8,945,129 total doses have been administered in New Jersey thus far.
Out of the nearly nine million total doses, the majority of residents are female at 54%, with the male population making up the other 46%.
The 30-to-49 and 50-to-64 age brackets represent New Jersey’s highest percentage of vaccinations, together covering 57% of the state’s vaccinated population. A little more than a quarter (26%) of inoculated New Jersey residents are aged 65 and older, but that age bracket accounts for nearly 80% of the state’s COVID-19 death toll.
New Jersey still has work to do in order to reach its goal of fully inoculating 70% of its adult population by the end of June. of at least 70% of American adults having their first dose. The Garden State is at 61.1% of its total population having at least their first dose, but more than 70% has received at least one dose of the vaccine.
The state will reach its goal when 4.7 million adults are fully inoculated against the pandemic.
COVID-19 vaccines are widely available at this time, and all New Jersey adults can choose from any of the three models that are available. Residents aged 12-17 can receive their doses of the Pfizer vaccine. The state is currently in the process of closing its six COVID-19 vaccine mega sites, shifting the effort to inoculate residents to a more local level.
- South Jersey Communities To Receive $29M Total In Municipal Aid Grant Funds
- Small Business Grant Program Still Has Over $9 Million Available With Application Time Running Out
- Student Story: With Dedication And Hard Work, Oakcrest Marching Band Creates Life Lessons
This article was produced by a Follow South Jersey news intern thanks to a grant provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation through the New Jersey Health Initiatives program to create hyper-local news to meet the informational and health needs of the City of Bridgeton, N.J.