VINELAND, N.J. — The Department of Theatre at Rowan College of South Jersey-Cumberland will be holding open auditions in September for the musical She Loves Me.
The auditions will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at the Luciano Theatre of the Guaracini Performing Arts Center (3322 College Drive, Vineland) from 4 through 7 p.m. Callbacks will take place at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 5, and rehearsals begin Monday, Sept. 9.
She Loves Me is a warm romantic comedy based on a play by Miklós László and set in a 1930s European perfumery. Meet shop clerks Amalia and Georg who, more often than not, don’t see eye to eye. After both respond to a “lonely hearts advertisement” in the newspaper, they now live for the secret pen pal love letters that they exchange, but the identity of their admirers remains unknown. Amalia and Georg will eventually discover the identity of their true loves after many twists and turns along the way.
Below is a list of roles that will be auditioned:
- Arpad Laszlo – Delivery boy at Maraczek’s Parfumerie. His exuberance is infectious and the commitment to his job remarkable. He is ambitious and adorable.
- Ladislav Sipos – Not the brightest employee at Maraczek’s Parfumerie. A confidant to Georg, he is an optimistic family man who looks like a huggable father.
- Ilona Ritter – Employed at Maraczek’s Parfumerie. She is sexy and learned in the ways of romance, but longing for something more from the game of love. Ilona must belt and sing soprano.
- Steven Kodaly – A well respected and liked employee at Maraczek’s Parfumerie. Though he is considered dapper and occasionally charming, he is more of a shallow womanizer.
- Georg Nowack – An established employee of Maraczek’s Parfumerie, he resembles a hopeless romantic. Shy, intelligent and soft-spoken.
- Mr. Maraczek – Owner of Maraczek’s Parfumerie. With a commanding presence, his dedication to the trade is rivaled only by his faithfulness to his wife.
- Amalia Balash – The eager new employee at Maraczek’s Parfumerie. Despite being a skilled saleswoman, she easily becomes intimated and nervous. Attractive, bright and a lover of literature.
- Ensemble: Three women and five men to play customers, waiters and townspeople.
For more information, email Director Deborah Bradshaw at firstname.lastname@example.org